The history of the Postgraduate Course in Veterinary Sciences at the Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro (acronym UFRRJ in Portuguese), began in 1930 when Prof. Lauro Travassos, a former student of Dr. Oswaldo Cruz and one of the most important helminthologists of his generation, assumed the position of Chair in Parasitology at the College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine (that is today the UFRRJ). Eight years later, Prof. Hugo de Souza Lopes, an expert in entomology, was appointed successor to Prof. Travassos and held that position until 1964.
During 1943, the act n° 6.155 of December 30th created the National Centre of Agronomic Instruction and Research (acronym CENEPA in Portuguese), founding the Rural University of Brazil (now UFRRJ) that was constructed at Kilometer 49 of the former Rio-São Paulo highway. At that time, the College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine was relocated to the Rural University of Brazil campus.
Following the retirement of Prof. Hugo de Souza Lopes, his research group, composed of Rubens Pinto de Mello, Paulo Iide, José Luiz de Barros Araujo e Hugo Edison Barboza de Rezende, assumed his research/teaching activities. In October of 1965, the exclusive workload and exclusive teaching regimes were implemented by the University, this resulted in the creation of the Postgraduate School and initiated the Course of Parasitology. These changes provided the conditions whereby lecturers were able to obtain the “Magister Scientiae” degree.
In 1973, Prof. Wilhelm Otto Daniel Martin Neitz was invited as a temporary teacher for the purpose of improving the quality of acarology-related disciplines, with tick borne diseases representing the main area of interest. His planned short one year stay, became an extended seven years stay, that ended in August of 1979, when he sadly passed away. During this period, the University was included into the Program of Superior Agricultural Education (acronym PEAS in Portuguese) that was created with the purpose of improving the Agricultural Sciences in Brazil.
In June of 1974, with the implement of a PEAS coordination in the now UFRRJ, and the signature of an agreement with the Ministry of Education, young lecturers from the Postgraduate Course in Veterinary Sciences were provided with the opportunity to complement their formation abroad. During this period of intensive activities, the Course was recognized as a Center of Excellence by the ‘Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Cinetífico e Tecnológico’ (acronym CNPq), and was accredited by the Federal Council of Education (acronym CFE in Portuguese) (decree n° 1852/75).
With the agreement with the Ministry of Education and accreditation by the CEF, it was possible to sustain the validity of the Master’s course as well as to implement the Doctorate course, which was approved by the CEF under the decree 800/1981.